Make a pet insurance claim
We are constantly working to make claiming easier, and there are many easy to use options available for submitting your pet insurance claims to us. You can find out more in this video, or read the options below.
If you have already submitted a claim and are not happy with the outcome, please follow our complaints handling process.
Option 1: Your vet submits your claim
- You can have your Bow Wow Meow claim processed on the spot if your Vet clinic is a GapOnly® partner. GapOnly® reviews and calculates your claims while you’re still in-clinic, so you only have to pay the gap between your pet insurance benefit and your vet invoice for eligible claims. Ask your vet or check here to see if they are signed up for GapOnly®claiming yet.
- Alternatively, many Vets can submit your claims directly us on your behalf via our paperless eClaims service. Ask your Vet if they can do this for you at the time of settling your invoice.
Option 2: Submit your claim online
If your vet can’t submit your claim on your behalf, the easiest way to make a claim yourself is by through the Pet Portal. To make a claim, you will need the following documentation:
- Itemised invoice (a paid invoice that includes individual treatment items and costs adding up to the total amount paid)
- Vet consultation notes, if you have them (these are the veterinarian’s medical notes from examination findings)
For the first claim we also require vet consultation notes for the life of your pet. If you adopted your pet at a later age, we will need documentation showing the date you took ownership. To help assist us with obtaining this vet history, you can also add your vet details in the Pet Portal.
You can submit your claim without vet consultation notes but in some cases, we may not be able to process your claim without them. If this is the case, we may need to contact you or your vet/s which may result in a delay in processing your claim.
Option 3: Send your claim in the mail
If you would prefer to lodge your claim in the mail, please follow these steps:
- Step 1: Download a claim form here and print it out.
- Step 2: Fill in your and your pet’s personal information in Part 1 of the claim form and sign the form.
- Step 3: Take the claim form to your Vet, and have him/her complete the applicable sections. Ensure your Vet includes his/her practice details on the attached invoice.
- Step 4: Attach detailed itemised invoices and payment receipts and a full veterinary history if this is your first accident or illness claim (no history is required for routine care claims) to the completed claim form and mail it to us at the address below:Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance
Locked Bag 9021
Castle Hill NSW 1765
Once we receive your claim form, we will process your claim without delay.
Need to contact us?
Frequently asked questions about claiming
When you visit the vet, you may have several different treatments that happen in one visit – such as a vaccination and treatment for an ear infection.
While you may submit these in one claim, we need to process them per pet health condition type. This will make it easy for you to see which expenses have been covered and what documents we require to complete each individual claim.
You can also see your benefit amount for each condition and if any excess has been applied.
Claims are generally processed within 5-10 business days, if we have all the required documentation.
If the required documentation is not submitted with the claim, there may be a delay and we may need to contact you or your Vet.
There is no time limit for submission of claims, you can submit it any time after treatment.
You can check out the Pet portal for a summary of your coverage or refer to your PDS and Certificate of Insurance for all your coverage information.
Pre-approvals aren’t mandatory, but can provide you with additional reassurance, so if you want to know if an upcoming or specific treatment for your pet will be covered, all we need is for you to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- Policy number or Policy Holder and Pet Name
- Name of the condition being treated and the proposed procedure
- Name of your regular vet and the vet where the procedure will take place
- An itemised estimate of costs relating to the procedure (optional – if you have it!)
Once we receive this information, you can expect to hear back from us within two business days.
Note: A pre-approval will not be deemed to be valid unless we have agreed to it in writing. The reimbursed amount may vary from the pre-approval if the treatment provided by your vet differs from the treatment request in the pre-approval.
Generally, for the first claim we require vet consultation notes for the life of your pet.
If you can provide us with proof of adoption or transfer of ownership papers, we will only request vet documentation from that date onwards.
GapOnly® is working with vets to deliver a simpler, easier claims experience for vets and pet parents.
GapOnly® provides on-the-spot claims processing, which means pet parents can just pay the gap and go.
With less out of pocket expense, pet parents can focus on the health of their pet, less on the cost of treatment.