Can dogs eat grapes? Everything you need to know
Can dogs eat grapes?
No, dogs should not eat grapes; nor should they eat sultanas, raisins or currants, as these are dried grapes. All types, colours, sizes and forms of grapes are potentially toxic for dogs.
Do not leave these foods – or any foodstuffs containing them, such as cake or muffins – in your dog’s reach, as this is most often the cause of ingestion and subsequent calls to the Animal Poisons Helpline. Also, dogs will often eat grapes that are dropped on the floor before their owners are able to pick them up, so it is a good idea to not prepare or eat grapes around dogs.
Are grapes good for dogs?
No, grapes are not good for dogs. This is because there is a chance that your dog could suffer from sudden kidney failure as a result of eating them. Scientists are not sure why this occurs, or which compound in grapes is responsible, although several theories have been examined and discredited.
As there is no proven amount of grapes that is safe for dogs to eat, you should avoid giving any at all. Some dogs seem to be able to eat grapes and not develop any complications. However, there is a definite link between grape ingestion and kidney injury in dogs, and there is no way of reliably predicting which dogs will become unwell after eating them.
Can grapes kill a dog?
Eating grapes, sultanas, raisins or currents can be life-threatening for dogs. Because the mechanism of poisoning has not been determined, all ingestions of grapes, raisins, sultanas and currant should be treated seriously. There have been isolated case reports of dogs developing kidney injury after ingesting small quantities – even just a single grape.
However, the outcome is usually good if early treatment is obtained after ingestion. Induced vomiting is often the recommended course of action (but do not attempt to do this yourself, as you may cause injury to your dog).
Signs of grape ingestion
- Vomiting and/or Diarrhoea (0ften within a few hours)
- Stomach pain (tender when touched)
- Loss of appetite
- Increased thirst
- Urinary changes
- Kidney failure
Never wait for symptoms to to develop before seeking medical advice, as symptoms can be delayed and may not occur until the damage has been done.
The risks of dogs eating grapes
According to the Animal Poisons Helpline, ingestion of grapes may lead to kidney failure which can be very expensive to treat and is potentially life-threatening. Some animals that develop acute kidney injury will go on to have problems with their kidneys for the rest of their lives, significantly affecting their quality of life.
What to do if your dog eats grapes
- Immediately contact the Australian Animal Poisons Helpline on 1300 869 738 for advice.
- Or immediately contact your vet clinic or nearest emergency vet clinic.
“Can dogs eat…?” series
A pet insurance policy with Bow Wow Meow will help ensure you can always afford to give your pet the best treatment, whatever your budget.
Find out more about our pet insurance options for dogs
Find out more about our pet insurance options for cats